For some packages that have multiple modes, notably ghostview, we have packages
for both modes and the a combined package.  Why don't we do the same with most
others? (I'm thinking vim which has the GUI availability as a compile time
option).

I will admit that it's not that difficult to get the sources and recompile for
the added funcionality (and having one binary in place of two), but we seem to
be moving toward making this an "it works out of the box" operating
environment.  Most people who are worried about everything working immediately
aren't much interested in recompiling packages.

Okay, that's my two cents for the week.

--
       _
     _|_|_