I saw the announcement for Mandrake 7.1b, so I thought I'd give it a
shot. The installer looks quite nice, but I when I get to the point where
it needs to format and mount the root partition, I get the error:
 mount failed: no such device.
Hmmm... ok. I tried creating the partitions other ways. Through NT, which
I didn't have high hopes for, and I still got the error. I installed
debian, using the previously created partition. It worked fine. I tried
installing on a different system, same error as on the first system.
  So I tried the first system again. Same error, so I dropped to shell.

 mount /dev/hda4 /mnt
   - no problem. Mounted it fine, I can see the partition. the lost_found
and mnt directories are there, presumably created during the format.
(Mandrake's format. Wiping out the debian install)
 so I umount and try mount /dev/hda4 /. I get the same error I get if I
click on the Mount button from within the graphical fdisk-like program.
 " mount failed: No such file or directory at /usr/bin/perl-install/fs.pm
line 208"

 Any ideas? I haven't checked out that perl script yet (a quick search
didn't reveal any editors on the mounted install partitions). Anyone else
run into this problem?

 Robert Shields