To try some generic troubleshooting, check the following:

(1.) In /etc/inetd.conf, a line like the following (not commented out):

     telnet   stream   tcp   nowait   root   /usr/sbin/tcpd   in.telnetd

(2.) In /etc/services, a line like the following (not commented out):

     telnet        23/tcp

(3.) Verify the existance of /usr/sbin/tcpd.

(4.) Verify the existance of /usr/sbin/in.telnetd.

(5a.) Check /etc/hosts.deny and look for any uncommented lines that may
block access.

(5b.) Make sure /etc/hosts.allow lists your hostname if you will be blocking
access.

(6.) Make sure /etc/nologin does NOT exist (not sure that this would cause
this problem).

Don Head
Linux Mentor
Wave Technologies, Inc.