CPT KIDD <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> I think time will tell.  Most or allot of computers users are hard-core
> programmers for have some knowledge of  linux etc.....as such, they are not
> going to be buying allot of win-modems (in general, h/w that does not work in
> other o/s's).  I think manufacturers are starting to get the picture that they
> can make more $ by producing a product that is "multi-o/s" such as my brother
> hl-1240 laser printer.... thing is bothe parallel/usb ports, and will work in
> imac/G3 also (whatever the f that means)....i love it.  it was also very good
> per $ too!  so i grabbed that puppy because is complies with all my needs.

however sometimes money issue is important ; for laserbeam printers for
example, you can get one for 2,700 FF which will be compatible with Linux
[HP 1100], and one for 1,700 FF which will need a driver under Windows and
will not work under Linux..

see, this is an important money difference -- and my father, who likes the
idea of free software, etc, prefers to spend the 1,000 FF for something
else..

--
Guillaume Cottenceau