On Monday 10 March 2003 08:26 am, Buchan Milne wrote:
> Greg Meyer wrote:
> > On Sunday 09 March 2003 06:50 pm, Guillaume Rousse wrote:
> >
> > I am saying that if the domain is no longer going to be used (it has
> > disappeared from the Official Mandrake web page headers) it could be
> > repurposed.
> >
> > Although, I think Denis has plans for something like this on the Club
>
> site as
>
> > a way to attract membership.  Shouldn't we be supporting that effort?
>
> I think so. Note that most people who would be contributing to such docs
> would be eligible for VIP (ie free) membership of MandrakeClub.
>
> I already started some docs in the documentation section of the forum,
> but it is not really suitable (it works, but could be better) for
> significant docs. Deno was planning something like this, he just did not
> get around to it.
>
> Of course, it would have to be decided which documentation (all, none,
> some?) would be available only to club members. But it could be
> something along the lines that all cooker/bug testing etc docs are free,
> really good corporate-related docs (samba domain controller, virtual
> hosting huge sites with apache, etc) would not be free.
>
> So, do we want to help build value for the club, or just for ourselves?

My personal opinion is that the information/documentation should be free for
all, but hosted at the Club website,  The technical forums are free for all
already, and there is no reason why you would want to draw all those
potential members to another site.

Make it free, make it clear that it is free and use it to attract traffic to
the MandrakeClub website.  Remember how all the boxed sets are going to have
a complimentary one-month membership in Club and can retain alumni status
simply by being active at the site.
--
Greg