Well, I have tried well over a dozen different builds, all with the
same result.  I *did* get the helix RPM to build properly (stupid
mistake on my part the first time).  It appears, however that the
basic problem is in the generation of the initial ~/.gnome/metadata.db
file.  After removal of the ~/.gnome directory, the file generated has
an md5sum of:

5e9ae0dff8845a586fc7d04e5577c594  metadata.db

Deletion of this file and restart of X generates (consistently) one
with md5sum:

01361424b2a7235d311dc931cfc8543d  metadata.db

This later metadata.db allows the icons to be changed and has a
correct icon for Netscape, but all other icons are default.  I
could not determine why it generates two different versions of the
file, being uncertain as to where to look.

Sorry I couldn't be more help.

--
       _
     _|_|_