Michael Steil <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Hi!
>
> I am working on an adaption of 9.1 RC2 for the Xbox. I am currently
> working on the installation system. I am using an Xbox-patched version
> of the 2.4.21-0.11mdkBOOT kernel and I'm trying to get the
> installation X server running.
>
> I did this before in Mandrake 9.0 and it worked quite well. The Xbox
> bootloader sets up a 640x480x32bpp (BGRX) screen (VESA framebuffer
> driver), and after patching install_gtk.pm to write an X configuration
> file with a screen depth of 32 instead of 16, the installation X
> server (XFree/FB 3.3.6) detected and used the screen for the
> installation procedure.
>
> Now on 9.1 RC2 everything is the same. The same X server binary is
> identical, install_gtk.pm creates the same X server config file -
> again I patched it to 32 bits. But this time, the X server keeps
> complaining:
>
> ---snip---
> (**) FBDev: Using default frame buffer video mode
>
> Fatal server error:
> fbdevScreenInit: unable to set screen params (Invalid argument)
> ---snip---
>
> In 9.0 it printed some information about the screen, like 4096 KB RAM,
> 32 bpp and everything, this time I get no such statistics, just this
> error.
>
> I compared the kernel .config with the 2.4.19-16mdkBOOT one of 9.0,
> and the framebuffer configuration seems to be identical.
>
> Any ideas?

How are you testing the installation ? Network, CD ?

The installation is present in 2 for on the system, as live files
in /Mandrake/mdkinst, and as ramdisk image in Mandrake/base/mdkinst_stage2.bz2

In NFS, harddrive, and when system has less than 64 MB of ram, the
live files are used, otherwize the ramdisk choosen.

If you are in a situation in which ramdisk is used, have you
regenerated it (for this purpose, run as root misc/make_mdkinst
Mandrake/mdkinst Mandrake/base/mdkinst_stage2 (important without
bz2 extension))

WARNING I giving the command by memory I may have made typos.

--
Warly