Hello,

this morning I asked a friend of mine who never installed linux so far
to install the 7.1 beta3 on my box (I plugged my external scsi disk
(an excahne disk with nothing usefull on it)). He tried to install it
with cdrom.img which I made under my working linux ...

* Frist problems arised, as the CD-Rom was not recognized by the
  installer. He got a message saying there were no linux mandrake on
  that cd-rom (so far so bad - the beta3 was in the drive), but by
  pressing ok (the only button available), he got "initializing
  cd-rom" which failed, as DrakX thaught there were no mandrake cd-rom
  in the drive ... :-(

  It figured out correctlt that I have an adaptec card and also found my
  2 cd-rom drives ...

  on 3rd try we switched to the second drive (a cd burner) and used
  scd1 instead of scd0 which worked fine ... so my freind went on.

* At the end of the install he choose the correct monitor fron the list
  (instead of "svga ...") and ended up with a very poor resolution of
  640x400 as he had no resolution or graphics card alternatives ...
  His only comment "Windows is able of presentig a better resolution, so
  why using linux ..." => please ask the user which resolution he wants
  even if he choosed automatic install ...

* BTW why is kcmlaptop installed on a normal pc (not a laptop) ???

--
                                                        _
Tschüss und bis demnächst/à bientôt,                  _|_|_