Viestissä Lauantai 22. Maaliskuuta 2003 09:34, Duncan kirjoitti:
> On Fri 21 Mar 2003 05:56, Brian J. Murrell posted as excerpted below:
> > On Fri, Mar 21, 2003 at 02:42:33PM +1200, Jason Greenwood wrote:
> > > Will 9.1 Final ISO's hit the mirrors??
> >
> > I would like to know this too.
> >
> > Just what are we waiting for?  I don't recall any of this kind of wait
> > with past releases.  ISO's came on the heels of the mandrake_release
> > RPM finally being updated.
>
> This is just speculation on my part, but I'm guessing the lack of ISOs has
> to do with the kernel problem folks have mentioned here repeatedly.

IMHO, they are just timing the ISO release to happend at the same time
as the official anouncement for once...

>  It seems a security vuln and kernel patch was released at the last minute,
> to late for the normal process of verification and  inclusion on the
> release ISOs.  Never-the-less, the patch was added, and the corrected
> Kernel packages created and delivered.

The patch was small, it did not break anything, and it wasn't "last minute",
since it was known in good time before the "official security vuln
announcement"...

> The problem appears to be that in the confusion of doing this at the last
> minute, without the normal verification and etc. someone made a mistake,
> and reused a previous kernel release number for the new kernel RPMs.

IMHO it wasn't a mistake, the name was kept to not break the official
ISO build scripts...

> Unfortunately, this means the various automated tools don't see the new
> kernel as a change from the previous one, and don't pick up that RPM.  At
> the same time, the official list along with sizes and probably the MD5
> checksums include and are based on the new kernel version, that the
> automated tools don't pick up, because it looks to them the same as an old
> one.  Thus, there are all sorts of errors.

So do a manual rsync on the cooker tree...
It will pick up the change....

> That brings us to the human side.  My guess is that in the work-up to the
> release, days off and other such things were skipped, and as soon as it was
> out the door, pretty much everyone left for the weekend, to catch up on the
> days off and such.  It's also possible that a number of folks were leaving
> Mdk to be effective at 9.1 release, due to the continual streamlining due
> to the financial problems.  These folks will now have cleared out their
> desk and be gone permanently.
>
> Anyway, the problem is likely that the automated tools can't fix the
> problem as outlined above, and anybody that can do anything about it took
> off until next week.  Likewise, anyone in a position to make an official
> comment on it is off for the weekend, as it was supposed to be all out and
> all good, by now.

Now this is way off ...

IIRC Warly (or another MDK employee) posted a message after 9.0 release how
the official ISOs gets delivered ...

They don't get posted on the mirrors after a automated iso build,
instead they get built under strict control by Warly, then they get
distributed among the MDK employees that test the final ISOs,
and if they are all happy, the ISOs will be posted on the MDK master
server where the primary mirrors can pick them up, and after that
all other mirrors that rsyncs of the primary mirrors...

Of course I don't speak for MandrakeSoft, just for myself...

Thomas