On Wed, Mar 26, 2003 at 09:42:44AM -0500, Brian J. Murrell wrote:

> are similar.  This makes rsync want to fetch all of the files even
> though I have them already, just because the dates are different.

According to the 'rsync' man page:

       rsync is a program that behaves in much the same way that rcp does, but
       has many more options and uses  the  rsync  remote-update  protocol  to
       greatly  speed  up  file  transfers  when  the destination file already
       exists.

    !! The rsync remote-update protocol allows rsync to transfer just the dif-
    !! ferences  between  two  sets of files across the network link, using an
    !! efficient checksum-search algorithm described in the  technical  report
       that accompanies this package.

IMHO, 'rsync' copies only the deltas.
I've no trouble with this.

Liebe Grüße, Nora.