On Fri, 26 May 2000, John Grange wrote:

> Guillaume Cottenceau wrote:
>
> > A good idea -- only problem is that [IMHO, i almost never used wine] you
> > must be root to run wine no?
> >
> > --
> > Guillaume Cottenceau
>
> no you can be a normal user
> the only reson for being root is if the config dir / and the drives selected
> for wine (wich are actualy dirs ) are only wrtitable for root. easy way around
> this is in the wine.conf file put $HOME/wine as the C drive or something to
> that affect.
>
> -DarkWlf

Wine configuration can be improved in the rpm shipped with future Mandrake
distros.

Some neat proposals are included in the wine documentation " A small WINE
distribution guide. ".

urpmi wine ; less /usr/doc/wine-*/distributors

In short, they give rationales and sample implementations to allow maximum
out-of-the-package functionality (root only has to urpmi/rpmdrake the
package), while leaving users possibility of personal configuration for
windows software, without world-writable directory or other undesirable
thing.

  ; Using this trick we have in fact two windows installations in one, we
  ; get the stuff from the readonly installation and can write to our own.

You may even get what a real windows environment lack: true multi-user
compatibility, even with software that need to write in c:\windows.

Why worry, I don't use windows software, anyway... :) but other people may
need that.

--
Stéphane Gourichon - Laboratoire d'Informatique de Paris 6 - Équipe AnimatLab
"Bonjour, je suis un virus de signature de mail. Copiez moi dans votre