On Tue, 2003-04-01 at 01:19, Francisco Alcaraz wrote:
> I have had a lot of problem with this new release. One of the times I lost the
> 3d; the second try I get a switched off screen.
>
> At the moment I have returned to textar Nvidia rpms.
>
> Could anyone be so kind as to explain all the step to have it runing under
> 9.1?

OK, maybe you have the same problem I had when trying to install over
the old driver. You have to run the tool at runlevel 3 ('init 3' text
mode). You also have to unload the driver with 'rmmod nvidia', but I get
the following error:

> WARNING: insmod.old: I am not the old version!
> Can't open 'nvidia': No such file or directory

So the only way to forcibly remove the module is to delete nvidia.o from
/lib/modules/... with rm.

Then re-boot. Mandrake will fail to start up X. Then login as root on
the console and run the tool. It should then install everything OK.
Re-boot again (or restart gdm/kdm), and it should start X this time. My
machine has been running fine with this new version.

You will also need gcc and the kernel source installed if you are using
a custom kernel.

Ed-T.