Le Lundi 2 Juin 2003 15:49, Buchan Milne a écrit :

> > As I found more and more hardware problems which are describe as software
> > (Mandrake) problems, it would be great to include a memory test and a
> > hard disk test in Mdk9.2 CD1.

> > See http://www.memtest86.com/
Michael said it is very long...Yes, but it is very efficient.
I have found some crashes of konqueror, gvim, gimp... I know now  it was
a hardware problem. I just found some defects between 314M and 342M.
Then a boot with : Linux mem=293M  is perfect ... Thanks Linux !

> But it would be nice to see memtest as a menu option in the rescue
> image.
Either rescue or memtest, because memtest uses as few of memory as possible.
memtest86-3.0.iso has a sizeof 1.6M : greater than a floppy.
Now some computers had no floppy.
When the memory fails, it is often difficult to use the PC and record a CD.
For all these reasons it would be great to check the memory from

> BTW, having just been working on a server that lost its
> bootloader, it would be nice to have lvm support in rescue mode also.
>
> > When a computer has only one disk, it ids not easy to umount it before
> > testing. With a ramdisk system  it is easier to run a disk test.
>
> But what disk test? Most disk tests are provided by the manufacturer,
> some only work in DOS (except IBM DFT).

In case of defective tracks a warning should be given.

> > During a normal installation, it would be good to propose these tests by
> > default or to skip them.
>
> I think it might be a good idea to have a message saying:
> "If you have problems with installation, please boot the rescue image
> and run the hardware diagnostics"

Yes, good.

--
Pierre Jarillon - http://pjarillon.free.fr/