Once I tried shortly under Conectiva Linux 5.0 but I didn succeed, too.
One should ask the author of fbset how the hell one get it to work,
because when it works one could change the frame buffer mode even after
booting and so one can change the resoultion of X easily also when the
graphics board only works with the frame buffer server. Then the frame
buffer server configuration can also be included in Xconfigurator or
XFdrake much more easily.

   Till