    J> Otherwise, as far as I can tell, this code has a problem. Try:

    J> $nid=1;
    J> $cache[$nid]= 0;
    J> if (empty($cache[$nid]))
    J>    { echo "Is Empty!"; }

    J> You will see that a value of 0 means empty. That's
    J> known behavior of this function.

ACK!  That's exactly right :] -- Thanks for pointing it out, because
you're right on: in the zero-comments case, which is the most common,
the 'empty' fails to provide caching.  The people who had tested the
code for me must have had comments in all their front page stories.

I'll bet the intended code was

     if (defined(cache[$nid])) ...

this is how many eyes make all bugs shallow.

--
Gary Lawrence Murphy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>: office voice/fax: 01 519 4222723
  Business Advantage through Community Software - http://teledyn.com