On wto 10. czerwca 2003 08:52, Vincent Danen wrote:
> I don't know why you focused on that.  I think you were just trying to
> pick a fight.  Of course "some" is the correct word to use.  Do we
> support sparc? No.  Do we support alpha?  No.  Do we support mips or any
> other arch?  No. Do we support PPC/x86/x86-64/ia64?  Yes.  Are they all
> cooker?  No.
>
> No one claimed we supported them all so why you're focusing on the word
> "some" in a sentence that did not refute anything you had previously
> claimed other than disagreeing with your perception of a supported arch,
> I don't know.

From http://www.mandrake.com/en/concept.php3

"Versions exist for x86, Alpha AXP, PPC, SPARC and IA64"

So you seem to make a business case out of it...

Please, don't get me wrong, all I'd like to see is a little support from
Mandrake to the community with all those "exotic" ports. Nothing more.

I've noticed that you try to chop this thread with pollite "plonking".
Please don't. I've looked at the archives, just to remind you
http://archives.mandrakelinux.com/cooker/2003-01/msg02895.php - that topic
was raised in the past.

When we we (CSC) were recently acquiring x86_64 machines and requested
Mandrake Corporate Server for x86_64, EVERY SINGLE hardware supplier in UK
that we tried replied more or less the same; "Mandrake is quite immature
distribution and we don't support it - we recommend SuSe Enterprise for
that matter". How do you expect it to grow mature, if the brand is not
recognised?

Talking about word-of-mouth, CSC uses Mandrake and every other departmental
IT professional shakes his/her head in disbelief saying "You use THAT?",
"Yes. It's good, you should try it too" and they ponder.

Sparcs and alphas are niche products? Well, but they are hell of a hardware
and clients like Universities love to buy them without thinking about
software support costs. When they wake up after paying first support
invoice, they're furiously looking for an alternative operating system.
GNU/Linux is there, but wait, their favourite Intel desktop distribution
is a pile of whatever... It's unusable. It's not even community supported.
Why? Because every thread on developer's mailing list concerning the ports
seem to be bashed away by people @mandrakesoft.com "you're talking
bollocks", "this is commercially unexploitable", "we cannot spend money on
supporting those products". HELLO! Nobody asks you to do so. Just show
your human face for bob's sake!

Please, we still like you guys. If you don't feel to take calls on the
ports case ask somebody else that can. We're not asking you to be devil's
advocate afterall.

With all do respect,
--
Jaroslaw Zachwieja