> My question is, why does Mandrake 7.0 and latest 7.1cooker run an hdparm
that
> doesn't speed up the drive?This makes linux a lot slower than it could be.
They choose defaults that are able to work on many machines without trouble.
The use of some hdpam sttings can lock up a drive and cause file corruption

> I think this would matter greatly for web-server performance and desktop
> boot/fscking times.

Reiserfs or some other journaling file system will take care of that in the
long run. The SGI filesystem works almost instanteously on very large
drives.

>Can you improve that? I don't know what other distros do,
> but it certanly seems possible to have a list of HD models and hparm
settings
> that correspond with them.

Too much variation with combinations of mobo, controller and drive.

You might see some more improvement using the autotune option in LILO (ex:
ide0=autotune hda=autotune). I see faster booting using autotune in LILO,
but Tom at  MUO tested this on his machine and got no better results. I just
used hdparm on my I-Opener and got minimal improvement with hdparm and a
little more usings utotune. YMMV.
http://www.linuxforum.org/plug/articles/needforspeed.html

> PS
> Mandrakeuser.org article claims that it is possible to get 30MB/sec from
IDE
> drives. Can someone suggest the hdparm settings that the person used. I
> suspect that my HD is capable of going that fast under linux.

Ask Tom where he got the info.

Hoyt