With the default setup (sgid cdwriter and all /dev/sg* owned by
root.cdwriter), a user in group cdwriter cannot even cdrecord
-scanbus.  chmod g+rw /dev/sg* allows them to scanbus.  But, then they
still cannot burn discs.

[anton@bladehawke anton]$ cdrecord -scanbus
Cdrecord 1.8.1 (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2000 Jörg Schilling
Using libscg version `schily-0.1'
scsibus0:
        0,0,0     0) `CREATIVE' `CD-RW RW4224E   ` `1.36' Removable CD-ROM
        0,1,0     1) *
        0,2,0     2) *
        0,3,0     3) *
        0,4,0     4) *
        0,5,0     5) *
        0,6,0     6) *
        0,7,0     7) *

[anton@bladehawke anton]$ cdrecord dev=0,0,0 -dummy music.iso
Cdrecord 1.8.1 (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2000 Jörg Schilling
cdrecord: Operation not permitted. WARNING: Cannot do mlockall(2).
cdrecord: WARNING: This causes a high risk for buffer underruns.
cdrecord: Operation not permitted. WARNING: Cannot set RR-scheduler
cdrecord: Permission denied. WARNING: Cannot set priority using setpriority().
cdrecord: WARNING: This causes a high risk for buffer underruns.
cdrecord: Operation not permitted. shmctl failed to lock shared memory segment

Only workaround I have found is chmod 4710 /usr/bin/cdrecord.  This
effectively limits use of the program to root and members of the
cdwriter group, and allows non-root access to the drive for writing.
If anyone has a better idea, I'm all ears :)

--
       _
     _|_|_