"Vincent Meyer, MD wrote:
> Hi - Found a number of problems with a fresh install of today's cooker
>
> Mandrake's login screen - no passwords work

Known issue, I should have filed a bug report, but did't ... anyway:
1)Laurent isn't currently maintaining it as its future is undecided
2)kdm works fine:

# urpmi kdebase-kdm
echo "DESKTOP=kdm">> /etc/sysconfig/desktop

This should probably be fixed (default to a working dm) before cooker
snapshot ISOs ship ... otherwise we'll be in for lots of redundant bug
reports ...

> Mandrake's default desktop theme - no text displays on any buttons or
> dialogs.   Mandrake Firsttime all screens and buttons are blank
>
> Log out, log in as root, stop service dm, log in as a user then startx,
> KDE comes up ok.  Trying to bring up anything in superuser mode fails.
> An example, invoking rpmdrake brings:
>
> ** (rpmdrake:2196) WARNING ** No builtin or dynamically loaded modules
> were  found.  Pango will not work correctly,  This probably means there
> was an  error in the creation of:
>   '/etc/pango/pango.modules'
> you may be able to re-create this file by running pango-querymodules.
>
> running pango-quertmodules made no difference.

This was covered in another thread, IIRC you need to:

# pango-querymodules > /etc/pango/pango.modules