I just checked some Red Hat stuff.

I believe the "bin86" package is now "dev86".  This change occurred between
Red Hat versions 6.0 and 6.1.

There is quite a size difference between "bin86" and "dev86" (35k for
"bin86", 320k for "dev86").  There must be quite a few changes in the RPMS
to create such a difference.

There is an English description in the Red Hat RPMs, and they seem identical
for both "bin86" and "dev86".  The description also seems to (from what I
can tell) match that of the foreign description on the Mandrake "bin86"
package.

I'm not exactly sure what's going on.

I highly suggest looking at Red Hat 6.2's "dev86" and figuring out how it
differs from "bin86", and why Red Hat moved to it rather than sticking with
"bin86".

Either way, you need to at least fix the description of the bin86 RPM, us
English-speaking folk can't read it.  Attached below is the output of "rpm
-qip bin86-0.4-7.i386.rpm" from Red Hat 6.0.

Don Head
Linux Mentor
Wave Technologies, Inc.
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Name        : bin86                        Relocations: (not relocateable)
Version     : 0.4                               Vendor: Red Hat Software
Release     : 7                             Build Date: Sun 21 Mar 1999
10:50:40 AM CST
Install date: (not installed)               Build Host:
porky.devel.redhat.com
Group       : Development/Tools             Source RPM: bin86-0.4-7.src.rpm
Size        : 74968                            License: distributable
Packager    : Red Hat Software <http://developer.redhat.com/bugzilla/>
Summary     : A real mode 80x86 assembler and linker.
Description :
The bin86 package provides an assembler and linker for real mode 80x86
instructions. You'll need to have this package installed in order to
build programs that run in real mode, including LILO and the kernel's
bootstrapping code, from their sources.

You should install bin86 if you intend to build programs that run in real
mode from their source code.