hello

in 9.1, and possibly in cooker, perl-XML-LibXML is packaged to work with the
libxml2 of the distribution, version libxml2-2.5.4.

The problem is that this version of libxml2 is known to not work correctly with
the perl binding. If you try to install perl-XML-LibXML from cpan, it will say
that you have no libxml2 installed, because in fact, the Makefile.PL has a
blacklist of know libxml2 version that don't work. 2.5.4 is one of them.

the resulting perl-XML-LibXML (and common, and possibly other perl binding)
doesn't work in many cases, and the errors are not obvious ( most of the times
segfaults of the libxml2 lib).

The solutions could be to provide a libxml2 that is know to work, and package
the perl binding against it. Maybe have 2 version of libxml2 : one for C, and
another for perl binding. I'm convinced that this problem is not restricted to
libxml2. We could try to maintain a library blacklist as they do in the CPAN
perl-XML-LibXml Makefile.PL.

By the way, if you don't have time to repackage the whole thing, I can try to
do it, but I think it has t be decided what to be done : don't change anything,
put an older libxml2 in the distro, or have 2 libxml2, one for C, one for perl.

my 2 cents

--
dams