On Friday 27 June 2003 23:52, Greg Meyer wrote:
> No, I think the difference is that I completely control when something gets
> deleted for good, and within two days, if I don't need the deleted files
> because of a mistake, they are gone.  The system I see you all raving about
> could potentially leave files that were intended to be deleted hanging
> around for a very long time without the user being aware of it.

But you know they are not deleted. they are removed. The change that you can
retrieve the file is 100%(expect in the case you need the file, than it is
0%). Why else does kde have a program to shred a file and is there a ext2
undelete. If you have versioning or snapshot the system is just more pleasant
to work in and you still know what you deleted

> I really don't see the benefits.  I haven't really seen any compelling
> arguments for this other than people saying they like the idea.  Why?

ps. read chapter 2
http://research.microsoft.com/~daniel/unix-haters.html