| AG wrote:
|
| > On Tue, 30 May 2000, B. K. Barley wrote:
| >
| > | Yes,
| > |
| > |       I get this problem also.  But I assume it's because the ldconfig is not run
| > | and it is not loading the dri module in the xf86config-4 file.  Pixel, is it
| > | possible to get the xconfig file updated so it will work on Vodoo3 3000
| > | cards?
| > |       Once I finished the install, without knowing X is configured properly or
| > | not, I shut down, rebooted into the os and ran ldconfig, then I added dri to
| > | the module section and it started x.
| > |       Now, I have a white block going down the right hand side of the screen.  It
| > | doesn't matter what resolution or color depth I change to, it's always
| > | there.  I think it's a configuration issue. Or perhaps it's the frame buffer
| > | enabled kernel I installed that's causing the problem?  I'll try doing a
| > | fresh install later today with the regular kernel.
| > |       I'm using a Vodoo 3 3000 AGP, and a relisys monitor.  I installed the fb
| > | kernel.
| > |
| > | B. K. Barley
| >
| > I had the same problem with the white stripe on a Voodoo3 2000 PCI.
| > It does seem to be related to the use of frambuffered video on the
| > console, because it does not appear when using ``regular'' text modes.
| > I switched to the regular video because there seems to be some
| > corruption of the console displays while X4 is running.  (i.e. not
| > scrolling parts of the right side of the screen or the bottom line).
| >

| Anton,
|
| How did you get the white bar removed?  You said you started using regular text
| modes.  How do I change this?  Never really played around with the text mode.

I changed my GRUB configuration to vga=6 (from vga=0x317).  This gives
a (rather crummy) 80x60 text display.  That cured the white stripe,
but left me with ugly squashed text.

To give myself a better default resolution, I played around with
SVGATextMode, which does not directly support the Voodoo3.  I added
the following lines to the end of /etc/TextConfig:

Clocks 25.175 28.3 36 75  # Generic VGA Chipset limits to four clocks
DacSpeed 75               # Playing it safe, but not as low as default
FontProg ``/usr/bin/consolechars -f''
``116x58''  75  928 968 1104 1192  816 820 830 850  font 9x14
defaultmode ``116x58''

(BTW, the default config file should be patched to use consolechars as
above instead of setfont to avoid the warning message)

There is a section of the config file that specifies your monitor
timings.  Grab these from your XF86Config, because the defaults are
not up to your monitor's specs.

You can also take this opportunity to comment out all the superfluous
echo's in the config file.

NOTE: This all works well for me on a Voodoo3 and IBM P50 monitor,
YMMV, and so forth.

Finally, I added a dummy service to runlevel 3:

ln -s /usr/sbin/SVGATextMode /etc/rc.d/rc3.d/S95textmode

This gives me 12 fewer columns but 10 more rows than the default
1024x768 frambuffer did, and it seems just as readable.

--
       _
     _|_|_