François Pons wrote:

If you mirror directly packages on your machine, you may want to use --virtual
of newer urpmi in order to avoid using urpmi.update, because the medium will
*always* be up-to-date, but it works only for local medium (ie file://
protocol).

The 9.1 urpmi doesn't support --virtual, and it doesn't even show up in the May 18 cooker (which was the last one I was able to build).

As of today's cooker updates, things have changed. Both "urpmi urpmi" and "urpmi --auto-select" still fail, but now they get to the stage of actually printing out all of the things that are going to be installed, and then find things that are missing.

So, I'm assuming that this wasn't something wrong with my setup, and that after the current torrent of cooker updates dies down, I'll be able to try again with better luck.