On Sun, Jul 20, 2003 at 12:40:31PM +0200, Buchan Milne wrote:
> On Sun, 20 Jul 2003, Keld [iso-8859-1] Jørn Simonsen wrote:
>
> > Another way of doing things was to early on in the install process to
> > ask whether errata should be installed, that is, before installing all
> > the packages. That would mean that errors in the distribution could be
> > remedied. I had an error with the drakx install script that it was in
> > the wrong charset, this was highly annoying - if the script could go out
> > and ask if errata should be applied very early then errors like these
> > could be avoided.
>
> Aren't these usually addressed by "patch" floppy images? You image a
> floppy, boot the installation disk, type 'patch' at the syslinux prompt,
> and put the floppy in later.

Yes, that is true, but it would be more convenient if there was a
possibility to also use the network for this. I do not think the patch
possibility is well known, at least not for newbies, and it is
cumbersome to make the patch floppy, and even to disseminate the
information that a patch is available.

> > And it would save quite some time in a network install
> > if you do not  need to first download the erroneous packages and then
> > the coorections.
>
> Of course, it would also be useful if you could specify the updates mirror
> to use, or if it would also check the mirror you are installing from for
> the standard updates location (since that is probably the nearest/fastest
> mirror anyway).

Yes, it would be nice to have the information on updates be pushed to
the users. I am advocating for a secure system that is easy to install
even for newbies, and automatic updating to fix security patches and
such is important. Having the current install site as the default would
be fine, or some mirror dependent on the languagei chosen would also be good.

best regards
keld