On Sunday 20 July 2003 05:46, Guillaume Rousse wrote:
> Please upgrade lm_sensors and kernel packages.

I've been looking at the lm_sensors package, and I think I'm missing
something. When I've used this in the past (built from the tarball), the i2c
and lm_sensors packages have both built kernel modules that I had to install.
But in the Mandrake lm_sensors package, no kernel modules seem to be built.

Does this mean that the Mandrake kernel is patched to already include all the
modules in the current lm_sensors version, or does it mean that whichever
sensors need extra modules just aren't going to work?

For example, I've got a Dell PowerEdge 2400, which has three ltc1710 sensors
and an smbus-arp controller, as well as a slew of lm75's and eeproms. When I
install the RPM (or build the SRPM), everything but the eeproms is useless:
the lm75's fail to read because they're disabled, and the ltc1710 and arp
fail to read because the kernel modules don't exist. When I build manually
from the tarball, everything sort of works ("sort of" because the lm75's
still don't actually read the temperature; I think the BIOS is doing funky
things).

Since it looks like the i2c package has been progressively better integrated
into the kernel, maybe with kernel 2.6 and lm_sensors 2.8 (some of) these
troubles will go away? If not, I think there's a problem that has to be fixed
(unless it's acceptable that only some sensors are readable--which it might
be, because the most common/useful ones usually are).