Etymology: plural of medium
Date: 1923
1 : a medium of cultivation, conveyance, or expression; especially : MEDIUM 2b
2 a singular or plural in construction : MASS MEDIA b plural : members of the
mass media
usage The singular media and its plural medias seem to have originated in the
field of advertising over 50 years ago; they are apparently still so used
without stigma in that specialized field. In most other applications media is
used as a plural of medium. The great popularity of the word in references to
the agencies of mass communication is leading to the formation of a mass
noun, construed as a singular <there's no basis for it. You know, the news
media gets on to something -- Edwin Meese 3d> <the media is less interested
in the party's policies -- James Lewis, Guardian Weekly>. This use is not as
well established as the mass-noun use of data and is likely to incur
criticism especially in writing.