Olivier Thauvin wrote:
> I was talking on irc about an hardware database for cooker.
> We allready have on the this kind of apps for stable release but my
goal is a
> bit different:
>
> - know hardware is, was, can be tested
> - when poeple used it, with what rpm version
> - the state: ie should it be re-tested (because somethings has changed)
> - have identifier or id for pci/usb/firewire.
>
> About technical stuff, I was thinking to using postgres (because I use it
> myself) with php, but poeple at mdk prefer perl (I agree if this strange
> language can works). Do not troll about thoses choice, all can be changed
> until nothing is done.
>
> This idea is not for bug report (bugzilla is here).
>
> What do you think about this ?

Yes, the hardware database at
http://www.mandrakelinux.com/en/hardware.php3 needs to be more
community-powered

IMHO, it needs to be done as follows:

1)First time wizard should run it
2)It should show the user a list of the hardware detected (ie from PCI
bus, USB bus etc) and ask the user to mark which hardware was:
- -detected
- -worked out the box
- -worked with manual config
- -needed 3rd-party drivers
- -did not work at all
If it worked with manual config or 3rd-party drivers, they should be
asked to give more information. If they marked "did not work at all",
then they should be given links to the database which will query for
their PCI id or USB device id, so they can see if someone else has got
it working.
3)All the infromation collected should then be shown to the user, and
then they should be able to submit it if they are happy with the
information being transmitted.

It *must* be easy to:
- -find out if hardware is supported
- -what extra steps must be taken
- -document this information for others.

Regards,
Buchan

- --
Cellphone * Work            +27 82 472 2231 * +27 21 8828820x202

Please click on http://www.cae.co.za/disclaimer.htm to read our
e-mail disclaimer or send an e-mail to [EMAIL PROTECTED] for a copy.