Leon Brooks <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> I just ran across a small misfeature of RPMdrake (IRL the whole RPM
> system, which I've touched on before). I selected (using RPMdrake) a
> whole flock of packages to add to a base install, and between the time
> I selected them and the time URPMI got to downloading them (maybe 8-9
> hours, it was busy with some Texstar and PLF stuff) the update index it
> had no longer matched the FTP site.
>
> The consequence was that I had to re-do the entire selection process,
> maybe a thousand packages. The same consequence would arise if (for
> example) I was operating through a modem and it hung up and caused a
> download failure for a key package.
>
> What I would like is for RPMdrake to save its list of installation
> candidates to a temporary ("autosave") file just as it commits to
> fetching and installing stuff, and to add a "reconsider" button to
> allow URPMI to have another stab at settling dependencies.

Yes, you underline the fact that a selection set is not as static
as it appears: it's full of dependencies. To do what you suggest,
I'd need to save requested packages (compared to packages
selected because of deps), and re-run the deps. I think this is
possible, but it seems much overkill to me (when you think of the
seldomness rpmdrake is left alone hours between selecting and
actually installing).

--
Guillaume Cottenceau - http://people.mandrakesoft.com/~gc/