I wanted to reply to this one earlier, but gave up after mozilla crashed
on the half-finished mail ..

On Fri, 8 Aug 2003, Per [iso-8859-1] Øyvind Karlsen wrote:

> On Friday 08 August 2003 13:44, Joe Baker wrote:
> > Two and a half years ago I was enchanted with Mandrake Linux.  The
> > release cycles were much faster and more bold at using the latest
> > versions of the applications that people wanted at the time.  She
> > was feature rich and still leads the pack in the installation
> > many categories.  I'm always pleasantly delighted that I can design
> > and implement such a complicated filesystem layout including
> > elements of the Logical Volume Manager, Raid and my choice of all
> > the big file systems that are out there today - Right from the
> > installer menu!
> >
> > My point is this... I want Mandrake to offer Portage for access to the
> > latest application compiling.

I don't necessarily think it is necessary to hve portage itself, possibly
a port to rpm/urpmi?

> > Portage is being made available for Mac's OS X, and the Cygwin project
> > on Windows.

Mainly because they didn't really have package management tools equal to
apt or urpmi or even rpm.

> > Portage is one of the best development tools to come along under the
> > GPL banner.  Even BSD "Ports" fans are envious of Portage.
> > Well, this probabaly isn't the best time to bring this up with all
> > the intense debugging going on and the agressive deadlines that
> > you're trying to make.  But it is food for thought about the future.
> > This integration would set Mandrake apart from all the other distros
> > in an amazing way.
> >
> > Food for thought.
> >
> > Best Regards,
> >
> > Joe Baker
> > President, Digital Communications Research, Inc.
> This subjet has been discussed several times earlier, and we've always come to
> the conclusion that it's really not worth it, it doesn't really provide any
> real advantage in performance

Forget about the performance aspects for a moment, since they are mostly
irrelevant, but the package management aspects may be ...

> and introduces alot of bugs, headaches etcetc..
> browse the archives and you'll find several threads on this..
> anyways, why being so obsessed by the *latest* from cvs, latest devel version
> etcetc.,

Because in some cases:
-you may be developing from CVS, why not have tools to help manage your
software built from CVS
-the software in CVS may be useable, just not feature-complete or the
documentation may not be complete

I build weekly snapshot RPMs for 9.1 of grass from CVS (grass51), and I
have had over 28 downloads of some snapshots, indicating that people
running a stable release may be interested in selected software that may
not be released yet. In some cases, such software may be in cooker, but
then you may have to endure instability in other software you only want to
use.

For instance, to have geotiff support in the stable release of gdal, you
need a beta of libtiff-3.6.

> cooker is usually quite up to date on most areas,

But what about stable releases? Sure, it's normally trivial to rebuild
something from cooker, and probably most people running cooker have a
stable system they run some rebuilds from cooker on. So, would it not be
useful to reduce the amount of time cookers spend rebuilding software from
cooker on stable releases?

> and you'd rather
> want something that's tested and actually works, don't you?

And who is going to test it if it's not packaged? Only the people who are
prepared to build from source, and if more than (say) 4 people do this,
we're wasting man-hours.

Imagine if you could setup cooker as a "source" media in urpmi, and if a
dependency is not met by your "stable" source, it installed all the
buildrequires (of course, some setup with sudo for urpmi would be
required), downloaded the SRPM and rebuilt it for you, and installed the
resulting rpm? And say some buildrequires weren't satisfied, it could
build them too. And say it had support for building with a spec file from
Mandrake's CVS, then you could pick versions which no longer exist in
cooker too. You could also have hdlists generated, and the location of the
final RPMs referenced as a binary urpmi media for other machines of the
same release.

And what if you don't like the options that are default in a package? If
standard macros were adopted (say _use_<feature>, for example _use_ldap),
and packages where this distinction is useful were modified to use them
correctly, it would be trivial to install packages with the features you
want.

If you forget about the "optimisation" arguments, and think about the
time-saving and customisation aspects, I think a tool like Portage for
rpm/urpmi would be useful. Just think, we may never see complaints about
cooker packages not working on a stable release again!

Regards,
Buchan

Please click on http://www.cae.co.za/disclaimer.htm to read our
e-mail disclaimer or send an e-mail to [EMAIL PROTECTED] for a copy.