On Wed, 2003-08-13 at 23:26, Adam Williamson wrote:
> My mails to Andrey Borzenkov are being bounced with this message:
>
> This is the Postfix program at host shockwave.systems.pipex.net.
>
> I'm sorry to have to inform you that the message returned
> below could not be delivered to one or more destinations.
>
> For further assistance, please send mail to <postmaster>

> delete your own text from the message returned below.
>
>                         The Postfix program
>
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>: host mxs.mail.ru[194.67.23.20] said: 503
> Administrative
>     prohibition -- access from ip address [62.241.160.9] is blocked.
> See
>     http://www.mail.ru/pages/help/262.html for details. (in reply to
> DATA
>     command)

I've had this  once or twice and found that the problem is a combination
of the constant reallocation of IPs by Cable/xDSL operators and
blacklists. Someone using the same ISP as you has been found to be, or
in some cases just been accused of, running an open relay, which is now
on a blacklist. I just did "service adsl restart" got a new IP and
resent with no problems.

Perhaps in the future a responsible ISP may break the mould by running a
check for an open relay immediately after allocating the IP. If the test
shows positive, send a message to the account to that effect and disable
it, then a large number of badly configured machines would be found by
the ISPs and not the spammers. A side benefit to this could be that spam
would be reduced dramatically overnight.

One can dream.
--
Dave Cotton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>