BZZZZ... WRONG!

I purchased a SoundBlaster Live Platinum retail package 2 weeks ago,
because the ISA Soundblaster no longer works with mandrake. Mine works
like a charm. NO problems at all and sounds better than I've ever heard
linux. I have been playing MP3 files and rockin!

So there is something else causing problems I think. Perhaps it is some
of your other hardware? Try taking out all other cards but video and
sound and see if it works.