On Fri, 2003-08-08 at 07:11, Per Øyvind Karlsen wrote:

> On Friday 08 August 2003 13:44, Joe Baker wrote:
> > Two and a half years ago I was enchanted with Mandrake Linux.  The
> > release cycles were much faster and more bold at using the latest
> > versions of the applications that people wanted at the time.  She
> > was feature rich and still leads the pack in the installation
> > many categories.  I'm always pleasantly delighted that I can design
> > and implement such a complicated filesystem layout including
> > elements of the Logical Volume Manager, Raid and my choice of all
> > the big file systems that are out there today - Right from the
> > installer menu!
> >
> > My point is this... I want Mandrake to offer Portage for access to the
> > latest application compiling.
> >
> > Portage is being made available for Mac's OS X, and the Cygwin project
> > on Windows.
> >
> > Portage is one of the best development tools to come along under the
> > GPL banner.  Even BSD "Ports" fans are envious of Portage.
> > Well, this probabaly isn't the best time to bring this up with all
> > the intense debugging going on and the agressive deadlines that
> > you're trying to make.  But it is food for thought about the future.
> > This integration would set Mandrake apart from all the other distros
> > in an amazing way.
> >
> > Food for thought.
> >
> > Best Regards,
> >
> > Joe Baker
> > President, Digital Communications Research, Inc.
> This subjet has been discussed several times earlier, and we've always come to
> the conclusion that it's really not worth it, it doesn't really provide any
> real advantage in performance and introduces alot of bugs, headaches etcetc..

Maybe my attraction to Gentoo is because of my ignorance of how to
develop for RPM.  I guess you can use source rpm files and use the
--rebuild option and specify the options that you want passed into the
compile.

> browse the archives and you'll find several threads on this..
> anyways, why being so obsessed by the *latest* from cvs, latest devel version
> etcetc., cooker is usually quite up to date on most areas, and you'd rather
> want something that's tested and actually works, don't you?

If I wanted something already tested for me, I would not be here testing
the Mandrake Betas.  I like to help with testing code.  I have a gift
for troubleshooting and patience that I can give back to the community.

The quicker we can put the latest code in front of people like me, the
quicker open source projects can evolve.

Hey maybe all I need is a lesson in how to create source rpms.  But I
tend to believe that the ebuilds in portage are the most efficient way
out there.  I've seen many developers whom I greatly respect flock to
the Gentoo community to provide assistance in doing ebuilds and
squashing bugs.  Headaches, yes, but they seem to get satisfaction from
it in some way because as end users with portage, we can easily test
the very latest code before a packager has time to make a package for
it.

-Joe Baker