On Sunday 17 August 2003 00:44, Steffen Barszus wrote:
> Am Sonntag, 17. August 2003 00:23 schrieb Steffen Barszus:
>
> [:snip a lot:]
> > ----
> > else
> >     unset PPP_TEMP_ENTRY
> > fi
>
> Are there cases there a dynamic DNS don't want to be used ? which ?
> From what I have read on the net, if the option usepeerdns is used
> the variable USEPEERDNS is set, so this could be used, am I right ?

right.
to answer your question about dynamic DNS
I think that pppd can be used for weird thing, such a a pppd tunnel over
ssh.
example :
http://www.linux.org/docs/ldp/howto/mini/VPN.html

i have also seen that some people use alternative DNS in order to access
some non standard domain, such as http://www.name-space.com/

and, i may want to use my own dns servers, for security, for example (
dns sec ).

all of these would requires to not use the option usepeerdns, so, i
guess you are right.

In order to work on a real script, i propose to use the wiki to write
the files :

http://qa.mandrakesoft.com/twiki/bin/edit/Main/DraftPppScript

By the way, i have put ppp maintener in Cc, please use answer to all,
thanks :)

and, for completeness, i have take a look at /etc/ppp/ipup on debian, it
only contains the runparts line of the proposal i have made.

--

Mickaël Scherer