On 08.17, Aleksander Adamowski wrote:
> How about adding ProPolice stack protection to stock Mandrake GCC?

I hope not.
I don't see the point of slowing down all the system (you have to
rebuild glibc, the kernel at least) just to protect against
buffer overflows.

Buffer overflows are porpular in windows because it is damned open,
outlook executes automagically even a pig if it comes in an e-mail,
administrators tend to give admin permissions to everybody
because of badly designed apps (I have seen Photoshop not working
because it wanted to write at C:\, and us, poor Unix admins, had
made it read-only), and so on.

In linux, you can do 2 things:
- shoot yourself on the feet, so you just break your own account.
- try to get root first, to make something useful with a buffer
  overflow.

And how about things written in other languages ?
For example, in C++ you are not allowed to reorder the stack.
Even more, you do not know the size the stack will grow to when
you enter a function.

I see no gain here. Some pointer to more info ?

TIA

--
J.A. Magallon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>      \                 Software is like sex:
werewolf.able.es                         \           It's better when it's free