[due to yesterday's cooker mailing list problems, I'm reposting this]

Andrey Borzenkov wrote:
> you can just as well compile kernel under 9.1. it should have the same
problem
> and the same fix.

Hi, Andrey.

Sorry about the long wait. For a while, demands at work made it impossible
to play with this. And being enough of a novice, I avoid at all costs
playing around with my production environment until after I test things
(often in cooker). That's why I was waiting for a kernel that compiled under
cooker.

For others following along: putting my laptop into suspend resulted in the
clock changing time. Andrey pointed out that the kernel assumes that the
hardware clock is in GMT. If it's not, then there is a drift at wakeup time
(in my case, at UTC+2, my clock moves forward by two hours upon every
wakeup).

Andrey, as you can expect, your theory was correct: it is indeed the GMT
setting in kernel:

standard 2.4.22-0.6mdk kernel (CONFIG_APM_RTC_IS_GMT=y):
     [EMAIL PROTECTED] jkeller]$ date
     Mon Aug 18 17:39:56 CEST 2003
(suspend, wake up)
     [EMAIL PROTECTED] jkeller]$ date
     Mon Aug 18 19:40:23 CEST 2003

modified kernel (# CONFIG_APM_RTC_IS_GMT is not set):
     [EMAIL PROTECTED] jkeller]$ date
     Mon Aug 18 17:47:05 CEST 2003
(suspend, wake up)
     [EMAIL PROTECTED] jkeller]$ date
     Mon Aug 18 17:47:40 CEST 2003

My "fix" has been to use UTC/GMT for my hardware clock. I am no longer
dual-booting Windows on that machine, so this is a safe option.

However, this obviously doesn't cover the lion's share of the desktop users
who Mandrake targets as customers. These people will need to be able to
leave the hardware clock in local time. However, I'm pretty sure that
Mandrake won't be able to include a second kernel compiled with this switch
off just to accommodate those people.

For everyone, please note that I *do* have suspend-scripts installed (this
was a common suggestion the last time I brought this up). However,
"hibernate" doesn't enter sleep (it starts the process, then cancels it).
I've never tried to fix /etc/suspend.conf because the command is incredibly
slow compared to using the keyboard combo (Fn+F4) to sleep.

Whatever script should be executed on wakeup, isn't. This is of course why
the clock isn't set taking into account "UTC=" in /etc/sysconfig/clock. I
use APM, so ACPI doesn't have a hand in any of these problems.

That's my (long-delayed) report. I don't know what trail to follow, but I'm
more than happy to try things out. I'll cross my fingers that you have
ideas, Andrey. Thank you again for all the time you've devoted to this
rather small problem.

- John

P.S. Andrey, I *think* I'm off your ISP's blacklist now. Knock on wood, this
will make it to you.