On 08/20/03 12:56:57, Dave Cotton wrote:
What's wrong with Open Source and Freeware?

They are possibly the two most misleading terms in software today.
Open souce does not mean free, and freeware does not mean free. Both usually mean gratis, but not all open source software is gratis by definition. We use a package at school called Gaussian which we have the source code for, but we paid $10,000 for the privilege of comliling it. Also, many open source packages depend on non-free tools (java, previously QT, etc.). They are thus open source but not free/libre. And freeware just means gratis, and nothing more.

There are many opensource and freeware packages we do/can not include in Mandrake.

Austin
--
                        Austin Acton Hon.B.Sc.
             Synthetic Organic Chemist, Teaching Assistant