> When playing with mpg123 but not within a graphical session, you have
> no problem; but whenever I start a desktop session (GNOME or KDE) and
> try playing with XMMS or MPLAYER I manage to play some music once and
> no more. System then complains that /dev/dsp is being occupied.
> I do not have such a problem reproducing the same steps with 9.2beta2
> kernel.

I've experienced other problems with same sound card.
- aplay segfaults when it plays some files
(like /usr/share/sounds/KDE_Startup.wav)
  after the first segfaults, /dev/dsp is unusable
- SDL_OpenAudio() segfaults
- unable to rmmod snd-intel8x0 module after aplay or
SDL_OpenAudio() segfaults because/dev/dsp is busy
- sound is scratchy in Quake3 using artsdsp -m

I've installed official alsa-libs and alsa-drivers tarball, I can now
play sounds with aplay successfully, but this didn't fix the
SDL_OpenAudio() problem (I'm tracking this last one, quite hard because
/dev/dsp is unusable after the first segfault)

--
Olivier Blin