From: "John Allen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> I have manually restricted the DMA to UDMA33 with a -X67 in
> /etc/sysconfig/harddisks, and I have not had a hang since.

that's actually a request for udma mode 3 (udma44)
(since you calculate wanted udma mode + 64)

could you try to test if your WDC is accepting / works with udma66

using -X68 or even easier to remember -X udma66

> So it looks like this problem is related to enabling UMDA100 (and possibly
> only with Western Digital Caviar drives).

I would blame the WDC drive, since I have been running UDMA100 on my
system with an Maxtor drive even before the MDK 9.1 was released....

if IRC there has been problems with some WDC drives, because some
of the series actually relies on the ide driver to do the crc-checking
(even in windows)...

> 2.4.22-0.8mdk seems to be working fine with UDMA100 with my Maxtor disks.

Would you mind posting the output of hdparm -iv /dev/hda (or wich drive is
your WDC)...

Regards

Thomas