On Fri, 2003-09-05 at 14:33, Thierry Vignaud wrote:

> > > btw, i would like to hear^h^h^h^h^hgot some feedback about my fix.
> > >
> > > any faillure or success report ?
> >
> > What's the best way for those of us with running systems to test?
> > How can we stop it using our stored settings via alsactl?
>
> you've two options
>
> - without installing:
>   o "service alsa stop"
>   o rm -f /etc/.aumixrc /etc/asound.state
>     (or "for i in /etc/.aumixrc /etc/asound.state; do mv ${i}{,.mine};done")
>   o service sound start

Okay, done for my desktop. This is how settings wind up, with
snd-intel8x0 driver:

master 65, master mono 65, two weird 3d control options 25 and 25, pcm
65, surround 65, center 100, lfe 65, line 65, cd 65, mic 65 and set as
recording device, video 65, phone 65, iec958 0 (whatever the heck that
is), iec958 input monitor 0 (ditto), pc speaker 25, aux 65, capture 25
and a bunch of other weird ones set to zero and unmuted. So basically it
looks like it's working. With these settings sound is audible but not
perfectly tuned, but that's understandable as using nforce2 audio with
the snd-intel8x0 audio is really freaking odd, some settings do very
bizarre things I haven't really worked out yet (I think something to do
with surround sound) and getting good sound is a matter of
trial-and-error tinkering. Hopefully ALSA will manage to make the
options more sane in future...
--
adamw