On Sat, 06 Sep 2003 20:54:19 -0700
Quel Qun <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Yep. A while ago, Chmou decided and managed to give us a kernel-source
> rpm ready to go. I just assume it is not easy to do right now.
> A standard user should not be required to compile anything anyhow.
> Dealing with the kernel requires a knowledge that most advanced users
> don't even have (a very good book is online though). That is surely
> why NVidia decided to go with this awkward installer, I assume.
> I'd say it was easier before, but thanks to Cooker for keeping me
> awake.

Well, I had a chance to take some time on my nvidia system yesterday.

The problem with the nvidia build results Only If the _up_4GB and the
_smp_64GB are enabled in the kernel build.

As noted in an earlier post there was no problem with nvidia and the -4
kernel but there is in the -5

Notice these excerpts from the changelog

* Fri Sep  5 2003 Juan Quintela <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> 2.4.22-5mdk
- reenable i686-up-4GB and p3-smp-64GB, modversions should work now.

* Mon Sep  1 2003 Juan Quintela <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> 2.4.22-4mdk
- disable i686-up-4G and p3-smp-64GB until kernel-source get fixed.

To further test and verify this I rebuilt the
kernel-2.4.22.5mdk-1-1mdk.src.rpm with the value for up-4GB and smp-64GB
set to 0.
After installation of the resulting kernel-source rpm, but still running
the stock -5mdk kernel rpm, the nvidia 4496.run built without problem.

    Charles

--
Necessity has no law.
                -- St. Augustine