mcc could use modem_run from user space drivers with
"-k" switch (kernel driver support) to load firmware.
this way we wouldn't need speedmgmt from
www.speedtouch.com

BTW, about firmware... there is no opensource
replacement of speedtouch' firmware, AFAIK.

I was wondering if anyone who has the ability

http://www.linux-usb.org/SpeedTouch/download/index.html

http://osdn.dl.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/speedtouch/speedtouch-1.2-beta2.tar.bz2