As the mandrake page asked for feedback on doing an upgrade from a prior
version, I installed 9.2 RC2 as an upgrade rather than doing my
old-fashioned reformat and reinstall.

I am not sure whether this is the place to render such feedback, so if I
am wrong, will someone please enlighten me.

The install went much smoother this time than it did in Beta2 and RC1.
All the icons remained on the KDE desktop this time and the only
removals from the panel were that the Kmail icon was removed and the
Knode icon was blanked out.

But several KDE elements were missing, including Kmail, Knode, Konsole
KSnapshot, and Kget.
The missing applications, except Kget which I don't need, were installed
using the Mandrake Control Center.

Kaddressbook was missing.  When I clicked on the addressbook icon in
Kmail, it threw an error to the effect that the external addressbook
was missing.
When I installed kaddressbook from the Mandrake Control Center, the
contents of my address book were restored.

The List of screensavers in the KDE screensaver configuration utility is
missing.  Kdebase is missing.   I have re-installed kdebase but there
is still no list of screensavers from which to choose.

While I was typing a long message using Kmail, the screen suddenly went
black.  This should not have happened while I was actively typing

Everything that I have mentioned as being missing was present in 9.1 at
the time I "upgraded" to 9.2.  They are all related to KDE/

Looks like there are many KDE install issues.