Adam Williamson wrote:

On Fri, 2003-09-12 at 02:47, Svetoslav Slavtchev wrote:

On Fri, 12 Sep 2003 09:20, Adam Williamson wrote:

http://www.mandrakesoft.com/partners/advertising

no.

I'm all for it. I replace the screensaver and bookmarks straight away anyway, and it's a simple way to fund your favourite distro. It's not as if we're seeing in-yer-face popups or anything.

Cheers; Leon

me doesn't use screensaver :) nor default bookmarks :)

about the install ( may be will skip a CD install and will use urpmi.update && urpmi
--autoselect )

My point wasn't really about whether it affected us directly. Obviously
it won't - given that we use Cooker, I don't know if we'll even ever
*see* the offending adverts. The point is I think it's a horrible way of
generating revenue which is being introduced by stealth - I only found
out about this because OSNews discovered the page and flagged it up in a
news story, I haven't seen anything from a Mandrake source announcing
this, and it hasn't been mentioned on this list at all, which seems a
little odd. I'm more concerned with the horribly unprofessional
impression that an installation and first boot sequence plastered with
adverts will have on a new user, compared to distributions which have
none.

Interesting. People on this list seem only mention how *not* to generate cash.

This product is being developed by a company, i.e bills, salaries and taxes need to be paid.

Instead of complaining on how not to generate cash, could we perhaps focus on finding an acceptable way for the $$$ to flow into mdk. We (contributors) will also benefit from it.

Perhaps we can make a topic on the wiki discussing this.

regards,

Stefan