Pixel wrote:

> [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
>
> > Is there a a way to install 7.1 from within a running version of
> > linux if it is already running the same kernel? I don't see any
> > problem with this but I don't know how to do it.
>
> you mean upgrade ???

I imagine he means the ability to install Linux on to a new partition
while running a (presently non-existent) version of DrakX from
another running Linux partition.

The big advantage of such a facility would be the removal of the
requirement to dedicate the entire machine exclusively to the
installation job for an hour or so.   You could then set the install
going, perhaps as a background process, and continue with your normal
Linux activities (like web surfing, messaging, game playing, watching
television, beta testing, or even application development) while the
install to another partition is going on.  Of course rpm would need
the ability to operate on a specified mounted partition rather than
the present default assumption of the currently running Linux
partition.

In these times of cheap hard disk space, this approach makes great
sense, and might IMO have been a much easier starting point for
developing an installer.  It is of course no good for doing the very
first Linux install - but maybe eg tomsrtbt might provide enough
platform to run such an installer?

--

Regards,

Ron. [AU] - sent by Mandrake Linux.