On Wed, 17 Sep 2003, Thierry Vignaud wrote:

> "[danny]" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> > It sounds as you actually want fsck to check journalled drives,
>
> yes, i do want checking journalized fses by default if the user does
> not choose anything.
>
> > while, in my experience, the journal update at mount is much safer
> > than fsck
>
> in my experience, not checking journalized fses can results in slowly
> accumulating small corruption in metadata until the day you got real
> problems because of this.
>
> journalised fses provides quite more stable fs regarding metadata
> lost and big corruptions but that does not means they protect you
> against all fs corruptions.

true, but I saw at least 3 users on 9.1 with a broken distro because
somehow fsck on ext3 deletes critical libraries.

> current fsck for ext3 does replay journal *before* checking & fixing
> it.

If the journal is currently replayed before fsck all is ok with me. But
this was certainly not the case a few months ago. If you sure that this is
happening (also on root fs), bug can be closed (at least for ext3).

d.