On Sun, 21 Sep 2003, Felix Miata wrote:

> Buchan Milne wrote:
>
> > In short, the name of the kernel RPMS contains the version number, thus no
> > two kernel packages have the same package name (as the other packages do).
>
> > So, if a user does:
> > # rpm -Uvh kernel*.rpm
>
> > they won't lose their old kernel.
>
> > Technically, this isn't necessary (assuming everyone would install kernels
> > with 'rpm -ivh kernel*.rpm'), but practically it is (way too many users
> > broke their machines on kernel security updates before the change).
>
> I sort of understand the reason for the extra -1-1, but not the extra
> mdk, which is the main reason for the subject line.

Well, the first "-" is the separator between name and version. The first
"1" is the version, the 2nd "-" is the seperator between %{VERSION} and
%{RELEASE}, the "1mdk" is the %{RELEASE}, which must end with mdk by the
policy.

Maybe you are wondering why the *first* mdk is there (the one in %{NAME})?
No idea. But I don't think the extra four characters are worth this much
discussion.

Regards,
Buchan

Please click on http://www.cae.co.za/disclaimer.htm to read our
e-mail disclaimer or send an e-mail to [EMAIL PROTECTED] for a copy.