I'm using an /home NFS share with NFSv3 + tcp + soft + timeo=600 and
r/wsize=8192 with nfs lock activated + NIS auth
With KDE everything is fine. Now the problem comes with Gnome.
In 9.1, sometimes gnome fails to start correctly on 5 of the 5 mahcines
with gnome ( some 100% of gnome machines where affected at one time at
least ).
I made a script that could clean the things right ( locking pb )
launched from /etc/gnome/gnomerc :

rm -f ~/.gconfd/lock/ior
rm -f ~/.gconfd/lock/.nfs*
rm -f ~/.gconf/%gconf-xml-backend.lock/ior
rm -f ~/.gconf/%gconf-xml-backend.lock/.nfs*

When I installed RC2 ( installation not upgrade so gnomerc is reset )
the pb disappear. cool.
Now I'm facing a new problem. When I launched gnome, a message said that
gnome-settings-daemon failed to start. there's nothing in
~/.xsession-errors. So gnome can start fine but want me to delete all
applets as it failed to launch/initialize them, don't use the right
theme ( galaxy ). Nautilus can be launched, i can access to
preferences:/// but changing is not working.
I notice that gconfd move lock files from ~/.gconfd/ &
~/.gconf/%gconf-xml-backend.lock/ to ~/tmp/gconfd-username/lock/

~/tmp is on the NFS share ( i.e this is not a symlink to /tmp/username )
so I don't know if this is the problem even if the message is different.
Before I had a message concerning a locking problem ( so I could track
the pb and correct it ), but now it's more vague.

I don't know if this is related but when I'm using evolution ( I'm under
KDE as gnome is unusable for me at this moment ) it freeze when it fetch
emails from POP server. The problem is that this is automatic. So when I
wrote my message, if it try to check new mails, it freeze and I have to
use killev. I believed it was something bad on my system, but after 2
days I must say that this is very annoying. I have to disable automatic
mail checking in order to be able to use evolution to write emails.

My version :
evolution-1.4.4-8mdk

nfs-utils-1.0.5-1mdk

kernel-2.4.22-9mdk ( -10mdk is installed but I don't boot with it yet )

gnome-vfs2-2.4.0-1mdk
gnome-session-2.4.0-3mdk
libgnome32-1.4.2-7mdk
gnome2-2.4.0-3mdk
gnome-desktop-2.4.0-1mdk

ORBit-0.5.17-6mdk
libORBit2_0-2.8.1-1mdk
pyorbit-2.0.0-1mdk
ORBit2-2.8.1-1mdk
libORBit0-0.5.17-6mdk

gconf-editor-2.4.0-1mdk
gnome-python-gconf-2.0.0-2mdk
gconfpref-0.0.1-1mdk
libgstgconf0.6-0.6.3-3mdk

gnome-system-monitor-2.4.0-1mdk
gnome-db2.0-0.91.0-1mdk
libgnomecanvas2_0-2.4.0-1mdk
gnome-themes-2.4.0-1mdk
gnome-themes-extras-0.3-3mdk
libgnome-vfs0-1.0.5-10mdk
galaxy-gnome-0.9.4-14mdk
gnome-iconedit-1.2.0-12mdk
libgnomeprint15-0.37-4mdk
gnome-find-1.0.2-5mdk
gnome-cups-manager-0.17-1mdk
libgnomeprint-2.3.1-4mdk
gnome-vfs-extras-0.99.10-3mdk
libgdk-pixbuf-gnomecanvas1-0.22.0-2mdk
gnome-vlc-0.6.2-5mdk
gnome-control-center-2.4.0-1mdk
gnome-vfs-1.0.5-10mdk
gnome-python-bonobo-2.0.0-2mdk
libgnome-db0-0.2.96-9mdk
libgnome-vfs2_0-2.4.0-1mdk
libgnomeprintui2-2_0-2.3.1-2mdk
gnome-alsamixer-0.9.5-1mdk
gnome-libs-1.4.2-7mdk
gnome-audio-2.0.0-1mdk
gnome-utils-2.4.0-1mdk
libgnomeui2_0-2.4.0.1-1mdk
gnome-print-0.37-4mdk
libgnomemm-1.2_9-1.2.4-2mdk
libglade-gnome0-0.17-9mdk
gnome-python-canvas-2.0.0-2mdk
libgnome2_0-2.4.0-3mdk
gnome-panel-2.4.0-2mdk
libgnomecupsui-1.0_1-0.17-1mdk
libgnomecups-0.1.6-1mdk
gnome-icon-theme-1.0.8-1mdk
libgnomeui2-2.4.0.1-1mdk
libgnome-db2.0_3-0.91.0-1mdk
gnome-terminal-2.4.0.1-2mdk
gnome-tiles-1-7mdk
libgnome-desktop-2_2-2.4.0-1mdk
libgnome2-2.4.0-3mdk
gnome-common-1.2.4-6mdk
gnome-mime-data-2.4.0-2mdk
gnome-audio-extra-2.0.0-1mdk
gnome-user-docs-2.4.0-1mdk
libgnomeprint2-2_0-2.3.1-4mdk
gnome-network-1.99.1-1mdk
gnome-applets-2.4.0-1mdk
libgnome-db2.0_2-0.12.0-1mdk
gnome-spell-1.0.5-2mdk
gnome-media-2.4.0-1mdk
gstreamer-gnomevfs-0.6.3-3mdk
gnome-pim-1.4.9-3mdk
gnome-python-2.0.0-2mdk
libgnomecups-1.0_1-0.1.6-1mdk
libgnome-window-settings1-2.4.0-1mdk

--
Le pressentiment, c'est le souvenir du futur. Pierre Dac