On Fri, Sep 26, 2003 at 03:52:18PM +0200, Buchan Milne wrote:

> Keld Jørn Simonsen wrote:
> > My 2 øre for mdk 10:
> >

> > configurability of a contrib source out of postinstall in DrakX
>
> I would like to be able to specify an update source (since we have a
> local internal mirror, and bandwidth to official mirrors is both slow
> and expensive).

yes, that would also be nice, I think I did throw in a few ideas on
this earlier on the cooker list.

> > installing out of a disk .img with all boot facilities as a standard
> > install way.
>
> Can you explain this one more?

This was already available at some time in one or more of the betas, in
alt0 and alt1 directories.

I also wrote a little on my ideas earlier. But my idea is to streamline
it as a mainstream way of installing cooker or the download version of
Mandrake. This as installing from disk is faster in total than booting
off a diskette or a cdrom, which media both are slower than disk, and
requires that you find a media to burn or write on, and then at least
compared to a 1,44 MB diskette, you may have more things in a disk-based
boot.img. In fact you may have all drivers in the diskboot.img and all
logics on whether to boot from disk, ftp, http, ntp etc. Furthermore
quite some laptops today come without a diskette station, so it may
be hard to do an install from those machines

> > possiblity to nuke files with standard virus extension in postfix (.exe,
> > .pif..)
>
> This shouldn't be done out-the-box without user intervention. We need a
> drakmailserver or something.

Yes, I agree. Some wizard to set up postfix and spam and virus
protection would be nice.

> > Some more security features that are easy to set up for novices, with a
> > home LAN. This could include enhanced visibility and ease of configuring
> > backup and security patches, in post-install mode of drakx and mcc.
> >
> > harmonization of drakx and mcc - using the same wizards etc.
>
> AFAIK this is mostly done.

Sounds good. I just notice that time setup miss ntp setup.
I havent been thru all of drakx and mcc to check for missing features.

best regards
keld