On Tue, 2003-10-07 at 02:38, jeff wrote:
> I'm still planning to transfer all the stuff from my unsupported 8.1
> machine to my 9.1 (to be 9.2 when final) machine.
>
> The question I have seems likely to be well within the knowledge of this
> group:
>  Has the method of hashing passwords changed between these versions or
> can I expect to take the passwd, passwd-, shadow, shadow-, group,
> group-, gshadow, and gshadow- (any I missed?) files from the 8.1 system
> to the 9.1/2 system and still expect all the passwords to be the same
> and recognized?
I would have thought so. However if you are planning on doing a fresh
install then copying the files over I would recommend against that.
Services may have had different users/groups under 8.1 and copying an
old group / users file to a new system will probably break it. You will
probably want to filter out your own customised users and groups from
the default system ones and only copy those over...